Master of Library and Information Studies [Hybrid]
The MLIS emphasizes the rapidly changing library and information field. The degree requires 36 semester hours and is accredited by the American Library Association. Licensure for several career tracks in North Carolina public schools is approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Graduates can qualify for the North Carolina Public Library Certification.
The MLIS prepares students for positions of leadership in academic, public, school, and special libraries, as well as a variety of roles in both public and private agencies and cultural organizations as information specialists.
The MLIS is interdisciplinary and students come to it with a wide variety of undergraduate preparation. Many have worked in libraries as undergraduates or as paraprofessionals and feel that they are ready for leadership in information organizations. In addition, the School Library program trains certified teachers or librarians without licensure to be certified for work in North Carolina public schools.
Career and Practicum Opportunities
The Library and Information Studies program works with information organizations where their students reside to provide meaningful practicums and volunteer opportunities. The practicum, LIS 691, is a 3-credit course and is a strongly suggested elective for all students. Please see the practicum opportunities page for information about some of the many opportunities that have been arranged or are available.
Program of study
Total hours: 36
- LIS 600 Foundations of Library and Information Studies (3)
- LIS 620 Information Sources and Services (3)
- LIS 640 Information Organization and Access (3)
- LIS 650 Library Administration and Management (3)
- LIS 698 Capstone Experience in Library and Information Studies (1)
Additional Technology Requirement (3 hours). Others by advisement:
- LIS 630 Computer-Related Technologies for Information Management (3)
- LIS 631 Emerging Technological Trends in Information Access (3)
- LIS 632 Managing School/Library Computer Laboratories (3)
- LIS 635 Media Production Services for Library Programs (3)
Minimum Program Requirement
- 19 hours of electives
- Nineteen hours are selected with advisement from other graduate courses in Library and Information Studies or cognate fields. Students in licensure programs in school and public libraries should confer with faculty for specific requirements.
Three-year Plan of Courses
Please see here.
Ways to Customize the MLIS
Please see here.