M.Ed. in Teacher Education, concentration in Middle and Secondary Social Studies
The Master of Education in Middle and Secondary Social Studies program is for students who hold an undergraduate degree and are currently teaching social studies at the middle or high school level. The program satisfies the requirements for M-Level state licensure.
- Middle or High School Department Chair
- District Instructional Specialist
This program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and who are currently teaching social studies at the middle or high school level.
This program encourages critical thought about the teaching of social studies at the middle or high school level and allows students to take content and pedagogical courses that will satisfy the requirements of M-level licensure in the state of North Carolina.
Students will engage in an action research project of their own teaching in accordance with the requirements of the M-Level license.
Program of Study
Total hours: 36
Core Courses (9hr)
- TED 669, Educational Implications of Learning and Developmental Theory, or TED 622, Differentiated Instruction, or approved substitute (3hr)
- TED 545 Diverse Learners, or TED 646, Introduction to Equity Education, or approved substitute (3hr)
- ERM 605, Educational Measurement and Evaluation, or ERM 604, Methods of Educational Research, or approved substitute (3hr)
Pedagogical Expertise Courses (18hr)
- TED 631, Trends and Issues in Teaching and Curriculum in Social Studies (3hr)
- 9 Hours of Content Courses in HIS, PSC, GEO, ECO, ATY, PSY, or SOC at the 500 or 600 level
- 2 courses in the following areas (cannot take more than one course in any one category): ESL (e.g., TED 628 or TED 523), SES (e.g., SES 540 or SES 543), or Technology (e.g., TED 628) (6hrs)
Professional Development/Leadership (12hr)
- TED 638, Seminar in Secondary Education, or TED 626, Middle Grades Curriculum and Instruction (3hr)
- TED 676 Teacher as Leader/Researcher I (3hr; prerequisite for TED 677; Fall only)
- TED 677 Teacher as Leader/Researcher II (3hr; Spring only)
Minimum Program Requirements
- Currently teaching social studies at the middle/high school level
- All graduate school entry requirements
- Completion of state requirements for M-Level licensure